Quick Start Guide for AASD Servo Drives
The purpose of this quick start guide is to help you configure your AASD servo drive to work with the Thanos Motion controllers. Be sure to follow all electrical codes and laws in your region. Contact an electrician if you do not understand or cannot follow any step in this guide. The AASD servo drive is a high voltage device. Improper use or setup can cause an electrical shock, injury, and/or death.
The full AASD Servo Manual is available for download here
AASD Front Panel
In most cases, the AC servo motor, AASD servo drive, motor power cable, and encoder cable are sold together. Connect the AC servo motor to the AASD servo drive with the included cables per the diagram above. It is recommended to use a shielded motor power cable to prevent EMI issues with other devices.
The AASD supports both 120VAC and 240VAC single phase input power. It is recommended to use 220/240VAC from a single circuit to power all your servos. A standard electric stove or electric dryer circuit can be used. Use a 240VAC rated PDU or power strip and power cords to distribute the power to each servo drive. Ensure the circuit is off when connecting the supply.
The AASD is configured to be powered by 240VAC by default. To use use 120VAC power, change the parameter Pn083 to 100. To once again support 220VAC, revert the parameter Pn083 to 200.
240 Volt Input Power:
120 Volt Input Power:
An inline EMI filter should be used on the input of the PDU (Power Distribution Unit) or power strip to prevent noise from the servo drive affecting other devices in your house. Our PDU has a built-in EMI filter and does not need any additional filters. See examples of EMI filters below.
Thanos AMC Controller Cables
Standard DB25 Male to Male extension cables are used to connect the AASD servo drive to the Thanos AMC controller. Shielded cables are recommended to reduce potential EMI issues.
Press the Mode button (MOD) to cycle through the Monitor, Auxiliary, and Parameter Modes.
Change a Parameter
- To change a Parameter, enter the Parameter mode by pressing the Mode (MOD) button until Pn000 shows on the LED Display
- Select the parameter using the Up and Down arrow buttons. Use the SET button to adjust the Cursor position
- Once the displays shows the desired Parameter number, press and hold the SET button for 3 seconds to edit the parameter
- Adjust the parameter value using the Up and Down arrows. Use the SET button to adjust the Cursor position
- To save the parameter value, press and hold the SET button for 3 seconds
- After adjusting any parameters, it is recommended to power cycle the drive
Reset Factory Defaults
Before configuring your AASD servo drive, it is recommended that you reset the drive to factory defaults
- Press the Mode (MOD) button until Fn000 shows on the LED Display
- Select Fn004 using the Up and Down arrow buttons
- Press and hold the SET button for 3 seconds to enter the function
- Press and hold the SET button for 3 seconds to reset to factory defaults
- The LED Display will show “done” if successful and “Err” if the reset failed
Set the following parameters on your AASD servo drive to work with the Thanos Motion controllers
Ensure your AASD servo drive is configured for your motor type. Find your motor code in the list below. Set parameter Pn001 to the value adjacent the motor code. For example, if your motor is a 80ST-m2430, you would set Pn001 to 4.